Search for information, advice and guidance

Equipment for your home

Even simple equipment can mean the difference between living independently and needing someone to look after you.

Help in the home

Help in the home

If you sometimes struggle with everyday tasks, there might be gadgets or equipment to help make life easier.

There's a range of equipment available to help you:

  • when going to the toilet (commodes, raised toilet seats)
  • when using the bathroom (slip mats, bath rails)
  • when cooking and eating (easy to hold cutlery, easy pour kettles)
  • when getting out of bed/ chair (bed rails, hoists, reclining chairs)
  • when getting dressed (easy pull zips, sock helpers)
  • assistive technology (intercoms, sensors, personal alarms)

Knowing who to speak to

Knowing where to start can be tough. You can get help to find the right equipment for you, from:

They can help you understand the kind of equipment available and what might be best for your situation.

This is often as a result of an assessment of your care and support needs.

Help from the council

We can carry out an assessment and suggest equipment that's right for you.

In some circumstances, we may be able to provide an equipment voucher to help pay for things like leg rests, personal alarms, tin openers, and even minor adaptations to your home.

Contact us for an initial assessment.

Adult Early Help Team
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01296 383 204

We don't charge for visiting your home, the assessment, or the work we do on your behalf.


If you have a disability, your GP may refer you to a physiotherapist to assess your mobility needs.

The physiotherapist will be able to explain what kinds of aids may help.

Adapting your home

If your home needs major adaptations, we will refer you onto the relevant housing authority or district council to see whether you can access funding for these adaptations.

You may need to contribute towards the cost and we will discuss this with you at your assessment.

Find out if you're eligible to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.