Search for information, advice and guidance



It's important that you are getting the benefits you are entitled to.

Many benefits are not means-tested, which means that you become eligible because of a mental or physical illness or disability.

Common benefits

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) isn't means tested, and helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

Find out more about Personal Independence Payments (via

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is isn't means tested, and is to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over.

Find out more about Attendance Allowance (via

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for people with a low income either in or out of work, intended to bring together and replace a number of existing benefits.

Find out more about Universal Credit(via

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance helps you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them. Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits.

Find out more about Carer's Allowance (via

Other benefits and financial support

Buckinghamshire Family Information Service has comprehensive information covering all aspects of financial help and benefit claims

Buckinghamshire family Information service

The Buckinghamshire Disability Service has a lot of information and advice to help you know what you may be entitled to.

Buckinghamshire Disability Service

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit that comes in two parts and you may be eligible for one or both:

About 4 million older people are entitled to Pension Credit, yet about 1 in 3 of those eligible are still not claiming it.

  • Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level.
  • Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement.

Even if you’re only eligible for a small amount of Pension Credit, it’s a passport to other benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Find out more at

You can claim by calling the Pension Credit Claim Line on 0800 99 1234 (textphone: 0800 169 0133)

Council Tax reduction and housing benefit

You may be eligible for help with your Council Tax bill. As part of the welfare reforms, councils now run their own Council Tax Reduction schemes (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

The support you get may depend on factors such as:

  • which benefits you receive
  • your age, income, and savings
  • who you live with
  • how much Council Tax you pay

You can apply whether you own your home or rent.

Housing benefit is help towards paying the rent for your home. You can claim housing benefit if you rent from a housing association or a private landlord. Housing benefit is means-tested, which means the amount you get will be calculated based on the amount of your income, savings and household circumstances.

Help with council tax payments

For help with council tax payments and to make a claim go to the 'Help with council tax payments page more information.