Search for information, advice and guidance

Request a carers assessment

As a carer you can get advice, support and help from the council and other organisations. A carer assessment will identify the help you need.

Caring image


Requesting a carer assessment

If you're an unpaid carer, you can ask for a carers assessment. This is your opportunity to record the impact caring has on your life and what support or services you need.

It is up to you whether you want to have an assessment on your own, or with the person you care for.

As a carer you can get advice, support and help from the council and other organisations. A carer's assessment will identify the help you need to help you in your vital role.

Arranging a Carer's assessment

Contact Buckinghamshire Council First Response Team

Self referral: Submit a referral online

Email: [email protected]

Telephone:01296 383 204

If the person you care for has a social worker allocated, please contact them directly.

Information about assessments at Carers Bucks

Who is entitled to a carer's assessment?

Anyone over the age of 18 who is looking after another adult is eligible for an assessment. Whatever your financial situation, or the level of support you need, you are entitled to be assessed.

You don’t have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have an assessment. The assessment is free and confidential.

How a carer assessments can help?

Some of the help we can provide after includes:

  • Information and advice ranging from benefits to future planning and emotional support.
  • A carer direct payment may be available to help you in a specific way, for example to help you pursue leisure, social or educational activities

You also have the right to an assessment if you are planning to provide care soon – for example, for someone being discharged from hospital with ongoing care needs.

What happens during a carers assessment?

We can either give you a call or arrange to visit you so we can listen and fully understand what you do as a carer to support your loved one.

We can either speak with you alone or with the person you are looking. It is entirely up to you, as it may be difficult to speak about your caring role in front of the person you care for

The assessment is your opportunity to have a face to face discussion about your caring role and how it affects you.

Some of the issues you may want to discuss could include:

  • the type of care you are providing and the time it takes
  • what difficulties you may be having in your caring role
  • what would happen in an emergency
  • planning for the future
  • how caring may be affecting your own finances, health, leisure or work

For more information see the factsheet, Preparing for your carers assessment

After your assessment

We’ll provide you with a copy of your assessment and let you know what we can do to help. You will also be provided with a carers support plan.

You will be given information about meeting again in the future to review your circumstances. If your circumstances change then please do let us know and we can review the support, we are able to offer.

For further information about support for carers please visit who can also help you in your role. Information about assessments at Carers Bucks

To ask for an assessment you either call or email us or request this online. Alternatively, if the person you care for has a social worker you can contact them directly. 

Email: [email protected]

Telephone:01296 383204

Other support for carers

A carer's assessment is an important step to getting the support you need, but there is a lot of other help and guidance available to carers in Buckinghamshire.

View other options for carer's support