Search for information, advice and guidance

Can changes be made to my home to help me?

Changes to your home - for example, lever taps, a wet room, a stair lift, widening of doors or a ramp - can help make life at home easier and safer.

You may choose to arrange adaptations by yourself. You can request advice from Occupational Therapy about measurements and gradients.

You can also request an occupational therapy assessment to help identify what changes are right for you. If your assessment finds that you need equipment or minor adaptations to your home, you will not have to pay for these.

To request an occupational therapy assessment, you can email [email protected] or call 01296 387024.

Major adaptations need a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). An occupational therapist will need to complete an assessment first before a Disabled Facilities Grant can be started.

To find out more about a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

For more about Disabled Facilities Grants, please see factsheet 'What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?' on our Factsheets page.

If changes are not possible, we can give advice on what a future property may need. We can also talk to you about the option of moving to a property that works better for you.