Search for information, advice and guidance

Help paying for care

How it works

You might be eligible for help from us for the costs of long or short term care.

To see if you're eligible, we carry out:

  • a care needs assessment
  • a financial assessment or 'means test'

Using these we can work out whether you are able to pay all or part of the cost of the services you receive.

Care needs assessment

We will carry out a care needs assessment to find out what level of support you need. Usually we will come to see you, however, you may be offered a telephone or online assessment.

We will also talk to other professionals who care for you, like your GP or nurse.

Find out more about care needs assessments

To request a care needs assessment, get in touch with us.

Speak to the First Response Team

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01296 383 204

Online Financial assessment

This easy-to-use online calculator will tell you how much you might be asked to contribute towards your care.

If you receive care at home, in the community or in a residential home that is funded by Buckinghamshire Council, you will be asked about your individual circumstances. This is to work out how much you might need to pay towards the cost of your care.

The Online Contribution Calculator lets you do this for yourself – free, in confidence and in your own time. The calculator will tell you what your weekly contribution might be.

If you have been asked to complete a Statement of Financial Circumstances by Buckinghamshire Council, you also have the option to submit the information directly to our system at the end of the calculator to help speed up the assessment process.

Financial assessment (means test)

Once we've carried out your needs assessment, we will agree a care and support plan and then carry out a financial assessment. This assessment looks at your income, savings and property to calculate how much you need to contribute towards the cost of your care and support.

If you need:

  • care in your own home, we won’t include the value of your property
  • to move into a care home, we may include the value of your property

Find out more about the financial assessment from the page

Moving into a care home

If you're moving into a residential care home, you may be eligible for financial help from us or, in some circumstances, from the NHS.

Find out more about paying for residential care from the page

Paying for homecare

Homecare (or non-residential care) refers to all the adult social care services provided on behalf of the council.

Homecare includes:

View the costs for homecare.

Find out more about paying for homecare from the page