Care Advice
Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Report abuse of an adult

What to do in an emergency

Call 999 if you think a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger.

What is abuse?

Examples of abuse include:

  • not caring for someone properly (neglect)
  • pressuring someone to give away money or property
  • psychological (for example threats, harassment or forcing someone to live somewhere they don’t want to)
  • physical (for example violence)
  • sexual
  • modern slavery

Learn more about the types and signs of abuse.

How to report the abuse of an adult

You can report the abuse of an adult to Buckinghamshire Council. We call this a safeguarding concern.

If you would like to submit a safeguarding concern, you can do this using our online service. You will need to create an account, which is quick and easy.

Submit a Safeguarding Concern

If you would like to submit a safeguarding concern without making an account you can use our online form.

Submit an Anonymous Concern

If you would prefer to speak to someone directly please call the First Response Team on 0800 137 915. Outside of working hours, call our Emergency Duty Team on 0800 999 7677.

If you feel the person is in immediate danger, dial 999.

What happens after you report a safeguarding concern?

Every safeguarding concern about abuse of an adult at risk is taken seriously.

Depending on the nature of your safeguarding concern, various teams may become involved. The most appropriate team relating to the concerns you have raised will take a further look into the situation, and you can be assured that it is being taken seriously and followed up.

In some circumstances, we may not be able to share further information on the progress or outcome with you. Each situation is different and we will consider the person at risk or their representative's wishes and proportionate, appropriate information sharing in order to keep people safe.

Reporting the abuse of a child or young person