Care Advice
Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

What happens after I report abuse of an adult?

Upon receiving a safeguarding concern, adult social care will:

  • gather as much information as possible from the person that reported the safeguarding concern, the adult concerned and look at any previous records
  • decide whether to continue with an enquiry or not, based on the information received
  • seek consent from the adult before continuing with the enquiry. If other people are at risk, consent may not be required to continue the enquiry
  • give you/ the person that reported the safeguarding concern feedback, regardless of whether they choose to carry out an enquiry or not
  • ask the adult concerned or their families what they want to get from the enquiry
  • consider other processes like a social care or carers assessment or signpost to other agencies if an enquiry is not pursued

How to report the abuse of an adult

You can report the abuse of an adult to Buckinghamshire Council. We call this a safeguarding concern.

If you would like to submit a safeguarding concern, you can do this using our online service. You will need to create an account, which is quick and easy.

Submit a Safeguarding Concern

If you would like to submit a safeguarding concern without making an account you can use our online form.

Submit an Anonymous Concern

If you would prefer to speak to someone directly please call the First Response Team on 0800 137 915. Outside of working hours, call our Emergency Duty Team on 0800 999 7677.

If you feel the person is in immediate danger, dial 999.

Safeguarding is everyone's business

Adults live in community settings, and it is important that safeguarding is everyone's business. Community safety is essential in our decision-making, and Buckinghamshire Council has a wide range of services to help make our communities safer. Wherever you live or work in Buckinghamshire, if you have concerns about an adult at risk, please report the incident to adult social care.

Making safeguarding personal

The Care Act 2014 puts adults at risk at the centre of all decision-making and ensures that their wishes and feelings are considered and that their desired goals and outcomes are recognised.

The Care Act defines an 'adult at risk' as any person who is aged 18 years or over, and at risk of abuse or neglect because of their needs for care and/or support.

Each local authority has a duty to carry out enquiries for adults at risk meeting these criteria. They also have the discretion to carry out an enquiry if they think it’s necessary based on the information presented to them.

Disability, illness or frailty means that many adults over the age of 18 must rely on other people to help them in their day-to-day living. Sadly, it is because they must depend on others that they may become vulnerable and at risk of abuse, very often from people they know such as a relative, friend, neighbour or paid carer.

Members of the Service User Sub-Group of the Adult Safeguarding Board have designed information to assist both potential victims and practitioners to understand the process and what they can expect to happen. This will ensure that the outcomes of all safeguarding enquiries are focused on the person.

We believe that every adult has the right to be treated with dignity, have their choices respected and live a life free from fear.

Buckinghamshire’s Safeguarding Adults Board

Buckinghamshire’s Safeguarding Adults Board (BSAB) has a responsibility for safeguarding adults in order to protect adults at risk of harm or abuse and to enhance their wellbeing and daily experiences.

Further information

For more information about safeguarding, please see our factsheets ‘What is abuse and neglect?’ and ‘What is adult safeguarding?’ on our Factsheets page.